Thursday, January 19, 2012

Communicating Effectively

According to Dr. Stolovitch (n.d.), 93% of communication comes from elements outside of the actual content.  We also need to consider the organizational culture and individual when looking at what the best mode of communication is to use in different situations.  This week, we have been tasked with looking at the same content presented three different ways: email, voicemail and face-to-face.  Our task is to see what (if anything) changed in our interpretation of the message from one modality to the next. 

My own listening:
I am aware that I come from a formal background, and have my own internal hierarchy of urgency based on my own preferences.  Email, within my own framework is the the most formal, and will be the first priority regardless of the content, voicemail is second and tasks presented from face-to-face communication will be the lowest priority.  Said another way, if you want something done by me quickly - send me an email.  I also appreciate clarity (as do most stakeholders) and minimal extraneous information in a message as it assists me in sorting through what is important.  Dr. Stolovitch (n.d.) advised clearly stating the purpose of a communication up front which supports this type of communication.

Reaction to email:
As I read through the email, my interpretation was that it was:
        • Gentle
        • Urgent
        • Understanding of constraints
I suspect that that this was not the first communication on the issue (as the issue was urgent, and there was significant pre-amble around understanding being busy etc.).  I would have responded to this communication right away by email,

Reaction to voicemail:
As I listened to the voicemail, the tone of the message came across as much more urgent than it did through the email and less gentle.  The urgency of the need came through, and I would have responded first with a return of the phone call, and second with fulfillment of the request via email.

Reaction to face-to-face:
I found the face-to-face communication to be almost confusing after the first two modes.  Jane was smiling and trying to be pleasant and almost seemed relaxed as she hung over the cubicle wall.  If I received the message in this manner, I could potentially ignore it.  The delivery did not seem to match my initial interpretation of the content at all and was very informal (Portny, Mantle, Meredith, Shafer & Sutton, 2008).  Given the significant impacts of the request, I am surprised that such an informal method was used, and would hope that Jane decided to follow up on that face-to-face conversation in a written format as well.

Lessons learned:
After experiencing this communication through three different modalities, I'm very aware of the downfalls and confusion that can be caused through face-to-face communication.  The 93% of the communication that came through outside of the content in this modality for me was confusing and seemed to blur the urgency and importance of the issue at hand.  Written communication, with a clearly stated purpose and limited extraneous information continue to occur to me as the best primary mode for communication.

References:
Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Stolovitch, H. (n.d.) Communicating with Stakeholders, [Video].

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kay,

    I'm so glad I read your post. It is true that the same message can come across differently depending upon what modality is used for delivery. However, the message can be interpreted differently depending on who is receiving it. This is evidenced by our difference in opinion concerning the most clear message format.

    In your post, you stated your personal preference for message delivery. It is a good practice for project managers and team members also, to establish a process for communication during the project (Portny, et al., 2008). Communication is more effective when all team members are aware of each others’ expectations for conveying information.

    Reference:

    Portny, S., Mantel, S., Meredith, J., Shafer, S., Sutton, M., & Kramer, B. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kay, it is amazing as I read through everyone's posts how differently we all seem to view this message. You are correct it depends on the person as to which method of communication they prefer. I also don't mind written communication since I am able to respond sooner. I am able to respond to an email or text faster than I am able to respond to a phone call and it is even harder to set up a time for face-to-face interaction. With the many things going on in my life, I can be picking up my kids or grocery shopping and still be able to respond to an email or text. I would have to find quiet time to call back a voice mail and have free time for a face to face. As long as the message is clear and to the point it is easier to convey. On the other hand if the message is rambling and not too clear, I would have a tougher time relating and at that point I will have to call the person to gain clarity and avoid back and forth emailing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay,

    I’m glad I had the chance to read your blog because it has provided great insight as to what method of communication you prefer, and also to compare it to my method, as well as my peers.

    Everybody had a different interpretation regarding the modalities that we had to analyze, but I believe it depended on their particular type of communication style. Furthermore, there are other influential factors (and I agree) that can affect communication, such as the ones posited by Stolovitch (n.d.):

    • Spirit & attitude
    • Tonality & body language
    • Timing
    • Recipient personality

    Reference:

    Stolovitch, H. (n.d.) Communicating with Stakeholders. [Video Podcast]. Available: Laureate Education, Inc. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=6290461&Survey=1&47=8022477&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kay:
    I found your initial post to Communicating effectively very insightful. I agree with what you said regarding the way that
    Dr. Stolovich refers to the art of communicating. He also stated that communicating should be clear, concise,and focused it helps everyone stay on target in order to get the job done (Stolovich, n.d.).

    Reference:
    Stolovich, H. (n.d.) Communicating with Stakeholders. [video].

    ReplyDelete